Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Order of the Engineer



Today RJ and I attended the Order of the Engineer ring ceremony that was held for graduating engineers. In the ceremony, we took an oath which pledges to uphold the standards and dignity of the engineering profession. In the process, we signed a certificate of obligation and were presented with a stainless steel ring to be worn on the pinky finger of our writing hand. 

A memorable moment was when a professor recalled the story (rumor) of how the first iron rings were made from the steel of a beam from the Quebec Bridge, which collapsed in 1907 due to poor planning and design. He advised us that if somewhere along the road, when our dreams fade and we happen to lose sight of our goals, he hoped that the engineer's ring will serve as a reminder of our oath. 

It was definitely a humbling experience. I reflect back on my 4 years at the University of Florida and can honestly say that I'm satisfied with the path that I've chosen: to become a computer software engineer. Of course there is the huge incentive of my major having the one of the highest employment growth and salary among the engineering profession, but there's also that respect and admiration I have for everything computer engineers have done. The technological progress that is accelerating as we speak is truly astounding. Computers have aided every profession whether directly or indirectly, serving as the backbone of our society. I imagine if all computers are to shutdown right this instant, the world would be in a total state of chaos. And this is exactly why I've chosen this career choice. I want to be a part of this technological phenomenon, this incredible synergy.

No comments:

Post a Comment